I much prefer homemade meals to take out- as do you, I’m sure. It’s healthier and less expensive. But sometimes I’m so busy with work that I don’t have the time to cook a complicated dinner. (sometimes is actually an almost always) One day I was playing around with ingredients I had on hand and came up with this dish. I LOVE it. It’s easy, healthy, quick and delicious. Plus, if I happen to have all the ingredients on hand in the morning I can throw them into the slow cooker and rice cooker and dinner is done when I get home. Win-win!
Spicy Peanut Thai Chicken with Coconut Rice:
- boneless skinless chicken thighs (I cook 5 for the hubs and I)
- 1/4 C. Peanut Butter
- 1/3 C. Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sriracha (more if you like spicy)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- juice from one lime
- kale salad in a bag
- jasmine rice
- coconut milk
- chicken broth
- lime juice
- Add peanut butter, chili sauce, sriracha, honey, fish sauce and lime into a medium sized saucepan. Stir. Add chicken, turn stovetop to medium and cover. Let cook for 20-30 min, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken, shred. Let sauce simmer uncovered for 5 min over med-low heat until thickened. Add shredded chicken back to thickened sauce.
- Meanwhile, add rice, coconut milk, chicken broth and lime juice to a rice cooker or saucepan following the normal rice to liquid ratio and cook until done.
- As soon as rice is done cooking add a cup or two of the kale salad to the rice and cover. Let sit for 3-5 minutes, or until the kale is bright green and softened. Mix the rice and kale together.
To serve, dish the rice & kale mixture onto a plate and spoon the shredded chicken and sauce on top. Garnish with chopped green onions or cilantro if you like. Enjoy!