If you are like me, gourmet recipes have long since been tossed out the window. Sad to say (emoji cry face) but it is true. We live in an age of instant gratification but, why allow the fast food mainstream squeeze us into it’s mold and keep us from making delicious meals to enjoy??!!?? Not me I say! Not me.
I introduce my newest take on eating and easy recipes, recipes that mimic a gourmet meal. So I have once again embraced my slow cooker and share our new favorite to add to our weeknight meals. The added plus, this can get dinner on the table fast and without compromising delicious flavor. Enter stage right: Italian Pull Pork Sandwiches with Pickled Fennel.
Not only does this explode with flavor but it perfumes your home with some of the loveliest smells. I head back to my Italian roots for this recipe (Cafe Morelli in full effect). An added plus. . . Be sure to pop open a nice red to compliment this dish.
Enjoy and savor this simple dinner tonight!
- 1 Italian* Marinated Pork Shoulder
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- Balsamic Vinegar
- 12 Slices Crusty White Bread
- *We used rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley, marjoram, sage, sea salt, black pepper. You can use a store bought Italian Seasoning.
- Rub Pork Shoulder with Spices and allow to marinate, 3-4 Hours or overnight.
- Place Pork in Crockpot and Cook for 8 hours or until cooked and falling apart.
- Shred and allow to rest and soak in juices.
- Take Bread and slice into thick slices, drizzle with Balsamic Vinegar, Tomato and Pickled Fennel.
- Place sliced fennel, a few fronds from fennel tops, water, vinegar, salt, and sugar in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Cover and let stand in refrigerator for about 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Assemble and Enjoy.